Tips for Achieving Envious Volume
Gravity-defying, full locks - some are born with them and some need a little assistance from strategic styling and haircare products.
Luckily, even if your hair is thin, limp, straight, or all of the above, there are plenty of tips and products to up your volume game and create that healthy-hair glow and lift.
We recommend incorporating some of these tips and tricks into your haircare routine and overall lifestyle:
- Mix up where you part your hair. Keeping it styled the same way with the part on the same side can cause it to lay flat, so switch your part to the other side, or ditch the part altogether for some extra oomph!
- Use waves to create body. Loose waves created with a curling iron or flat iron give your hair texture for added volume.
- Limit the number of layers you have. It may seem like layers should add body to your hair, but they actually tend to look flat if you have too many. Ask your stylist for face-framing rather than layers throughout the body of your hair.
- Give yourself a blowout. Yes, you can do this from the comfort of your own bathroom! Here’s how: Flip your head over and aim the blow-dryer at the nape of your neck, moving the air upward to create fullness at the bottom. When your hair is almost dry, flip your hair back over and heat the roots. Add some extra lift by using a round brush, rolling it through sections of your hair while you’re blow-drying, or rub your fingers in small circles on your scalp while drying your hair to maximize volume. When you’re done blow-drying, use the cool air setting on your blow dryer and blast it with some cold air to lock in the volume and moisture.
- Try teasing or backcombing your hair with a comb. Doing this gives the illusion of more volume by adding a boost to specific sections of your hair.
- Chop some hair off. Like layers, long hair tends to fall flat. Give a bob a try – this style is bouncy and universally flattering!
Sometimes you need the help of a GREAT product to give your hair the volume you're looking for. Luckily, your local Great Clips salon has a host of products that will give your hair the liftoff it needs.
Here are our recommendations:
- Solutions by Great Clips Root Booster Thickening Spray
- Solutions by Great Clips Volumizing Foam
- Solutions by Great Clips Blowout Cream
- Paul Mitchell Extra-Body line (shampoo, conditioner, sculpting foam, finishing spray)
- Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day Thickening Spray
- Bed Head Small Talk
- Matrix Total Results High Amplify line
- Bosley Ultra Boost Styling Crème
- Bosley Volumizing and Nourishing Leave-In Treatment
If your hair isn't achieving the volume you'd like, Great Clips stylists are here to give you the volume you've been missing! Head to your local Great Clips salon and ask your stylist for product recommendations, as well as tips and tricks to incorporate into your haircare regimen to add some body to your 'do.
And don't forget to download the Great Clips app, where you can unlock great features that can help you save time and money on your next haircut. You can also read about our GreatCare Promise, which outlines the steps Great Clips salons are taking to make your next visit as safe and as comfortable as possible.