We’ve Got Volume, How ‘Bout You?
Some are born with it, some need a little assistance from strategic styling and haircare products. We’re talking about volume. Many want it but for most, it takes effort to achieve those gravity-defying, full locks.
Luckily, you don’t need to have naturally voluminous hair in order to achieve a voluminous look. Even if your hair is thin, limp, straight, dull or all of the above, there are plenty of products available to up your volume game and bring back that healthy-hair glow and lift, while also providing your hair with the essential nutrients it needs to remain nourished and full. And luckily, your local Great Clips salon has a host of products that will give your hair the liftoff it needs.
Here are our recommendations:
- Solutions by Great Clips Root Booster Thickening Spray
- Solutions by Great Clips Volumizing Foam
- Solutions by Great Clips Blowout Cream
- Paul Mitchell Extra-Body line (shampoo, conditioner, sculpting foam, finishing spray)
- Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day Thickening Spray
- Bed Head Small Talk
- Matrix Total Results High Amplify line
- Bosley Ultra Boost Styling Crème
- Bosley Volumizing and Nourishing Leave-In Treatment
- Nioxin Thickening Spray
Sometimes it takes more than a GREAT product to give your hair the volume you’re looking for. We recommend incorporating some of these tips and tricks into your haircare routine and overall lifestyle:
- Eat a balanced diet with lots of iron, zinc, copper and Vitamins C and B for healthy hair, skin and nails.
- Mix up where you part your hair. Keeping it styled the same way with the part on the same side can cause it to lay flat, so switch your part to the other side, or ditch the part altogether for some extra oomph!
- Try teasing or back-combing your hair with a comb. Doing this gives the illusion of more volume by adding a boost to specific sections of your hair.
- Use waves to create body. Loose waves created with a curling iron or flatiron give your hair texture for added volume.
- Limit the number of layers you have. It may seem like layers should add body to your hair, but they actually tend to look flat if you have too many. Ask your stylist for face-framing rather than layers throughout the body of your hair.
- Give yourself a blow-out. Yes, you can do this from the comfort of your own bathroom! Here’s how: Flip your head over and aim the blow-dryer at the nape of your neck, moving the air upward to create fullness at the bottom. When your hair is almost dry, flip your hair back over and heat the roots. Add some extra lift by using a round brush, rolling it through sections of your hair while you’re blow-drying, or rub your fingers in small circles on your scalp while drying your hair to maximize volume. When you’re done blow-drying, use the cool air setting on your blow dryer and blast it with some cold air to lock in the volume and moisture.
- Chop some hair off. Like layers, long hair tends to fall flat. Give a bob a try – this style is bouncy and universally flattering!
If your hair isn’t achieving the liftoff you’d like, Great Clips stylists are here to give you the volume you’ve been missing! Head to your local Great Clips salon and ask your stylist for product recommendations, as well as tips and tricks to incorporate into your haircare regimen to add some body to your ‘do!