Lock in your Look: Your Guide to Choosing the Perfect Hairspray
Sometimes you want to let your natural hair fly. Sometimes you want to wrangle it. No matter what kind of hold you’re looking for – natural or highly styled – Great Clips salons have a hairspray for every hair type, look and occasion.
Hairspray comes in three different types of hold: light/flexible, medium and strong. Keeping that in mind, we recommend that you have each type of hold on-hand to fit the style that you are trying to maintain.
When choosing a hairspray, here’s what to keep in mind:
Consider the purpose: Are you looking to give your hair more body and lift? Do you need some serious hold that will withstand bad weather, a wedding or just a long day? How will your hair react to extra moisture in the air? Are you looking to add some shine? Do you want your style to have some flexibility and malleability? These are all questions to ask before you reach for your favorite spray as each one will serve a different purpose and determine how your hair will react throughout the day.
Consider your hair type: Thick, coarse hair will likely need a stronger hold, while thin or curly hair can benefit from a medium or light hold so it’s not weighed down. Hairspray is also a great way to add volume if you have thin hair, and it’s a great way to control fly-aways if your look is a little unruly and unpredictable.
Have curls? A lighter spray may be the best bet for you so that you can still get the flexibility your curls need to bounce.
Still not so sure which spray to choose for your style? Here are some more things to consider:
- Hold type: Temporary, but natural-looking and lightweight without a lot of that sticky feeling
- Good for: Preventing frizz, smoothing down fly-aways, keeping curls bouncy, adding shine, adding a little volume
- Style guide: Use for casual styles like loose curls, natural curls, beachy waves and a tousled look.
- Added bonus: This hold is good for daily use because it won’t weigh hair down and doesn’t result in excessive build-up. You’re also less likely to experience damage to your hair if you heat-style it the day after you use the hairspray because it won’t cause build-up on your strands.
- Our recommendations: Solutions by Great Clips Buildable Hairspray and Sexy Hair Smooth & Seal.
- Hold type: All-day shine and style maintenance without too much “crunch”
- Good for: Managing thick hair, keeping fly-aways at bay, preventing frizz (especially in humidity), adding shine, increasing volume and keeping curls bouncy
- Style guide: Perfect for ponytails, loose updos, waves, smoothing/styling bangs and bouncy curls. Spray it on your roots for some volume that’ll last throughout the day!
- Our recommendations: Big Sexy Hair Spray & Play Hairspray, TIGI Bed Head Masterpiece Shine Hairspray
- Hold type: All day (and then some)! Rain, shine, wedding, snow, wind, humidity…
- Good for: Fighting humidity, adding some serious volume that won’t wilt, holding more dramatic looks like wedding styles and other updos
- Style guide: This should be your go-to for formal event hair that you want to last through dinner, dancing, socializing, photos and after-parties! Strong hold hairspray will hold your hair in place all day and night, while also adding a good dose of shine and protecting it from the elements. Have thin hair? Strong hold spray can help add volume.
- Our recommendations: Big Sexy Hair Spray & Play Harder Firm Volumizing Hairspray, Matrix High Amplify Proforma Hairspray, Paul Mitchell Freeze & Shine Super Spray
Ready to lock down those locks? Make sure you choose a hold that will give you the staying power and flexibility you need for whichever style you’ve chosen! Head to a Great Clips salon near you and ask a stylist which spray will lock in your look.