Curl Control: 5 Tips for Managing Your Man Curls
It’s a common misconception that men’s hair is easier to manage than women’s hair. And if you’re a curly-haired man reading this, you definitely know that’s not the case! Curls take patience, careful product selection and a little bit of hair know-how. While curly hair can often be difficult to maintain and control, Great Clips stylists have the products and the knowledge to help you keep your curls healthy and maintained.
Here are some of our top tips:
1. Head to a Great Clips salon regularly. Making sure you keep up on regular trims helps keep your hair strong and allows you to maintain a length that’s right for your curls and your desired style. Whether it’s longer layers for more volume, or a shorter cut for tight curls, having a regular haircut schedule will keep your curls looking tidy and help you avoid frizz and breakage.
2. Choose styling products that will add extra moisture and hold. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it, too! Curly hair needs more moisture than straight hair to prevent dryness and breakage, but it may also require some control to keep it from getting too wild (unless you like it that way). To make sure you’re getting healthy-looking curls that will also fit your desired style, we recommend GRIT Firm Style, Solutions by Great Clips Texturizing Pomade, Solutions by Great Clips Fiber Cream, Solutions by Great Clips Pliable Putty, Men’s Solutions Spray Gel and Men’s Solutions Firm Hold Gel.
3. Don’t wash your hair every day. Because curly hair tends to be drier than straight hair, it’s important to keep the moisture in and to take advantage of natural oils by avoiding daily washes, which strip natural oils from your hair. When you do wash it, we recommend Solutions by Great Clips Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, Solutions by Great Clips Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner, American Crew Daily Moisturizing Shampoo, American Crew 3-in-1 Tea Tree and Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo – Original Wash for optimal moisture retention.
4. Try styling products that aren’t too heavy and won’t cause crunch. (You know the crunch we’re talking about.) Heavy products cause build-up and can leave residue in your hair. Try a leave-in conditioner, like Men’s Solutions Shampoo and Leave-In Conditioner to keep frizz to a minimum and then apply a light mousse for a little bit of hold, like Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam.
5. Don’t be afraid to pick up the blow dryer. Trust us, you will not regret spending a little extra time on your hair in the morning by blow-drying, which adds volume and gives you more control over your final look. But don’t forget this pro tip: Add a little bit of sea salt spray or mousse such as Sexy Hair Curl Power Mouse to your hair while it’s still damp, and dry with a diffuser attachment to prevent frizz and fly-aways and avoid damaging your hair.
If your curls are out of control, it’s time to stop into your local Great Clips salon and ask a stylist how you can best keep your curls feeling fresh, healthy and manageable.