Manage Your Man-Mane: 5 Tips for Caring for Your Curls
It’s a common misconception that men’s hair is easier to manage than women’s hair. All you have to do is roll out of bed, hop in the shower, apply a little product and you’re out the door looking fly. But if you’re a guy with curly hair, you know that this is nothing short of false.
Curls can be unruly, disobedient and difficult to maintain. But Great Clips stylists have the products and the know-how to keep those curls under control.
- Keep your cut fresh. Go in for a haircut regularly to keep your hair strong and to maintain a length that’s right for your curls and your desired style. Whether it’s longer layers for more volume, or a shorter cut for tight curls, having a regular haircut schedule will keep your curls looking tidy.
- Opt for styling products that will add extra moisture while also providing hold to keep your curls in place. We recommend GRIT Firm Style, Solutions by Great Clips Texturizing Pomade, Solutions by Great Clips Fiber Cream, Solutions by Great Clips Pliable Putty, Men’s Solutions Spray Gel and Men’s Solutions Firm Hold Gel.
- Don’t wash your hair every day. Because curly hair tends to be drier than straight hair, it’s important to keep the moisture in by avoiding daily washes. When you do wash it, we recommend Solutions by Great Clips Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, Solutions by Great Clips Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner, American Crew Daily Moisturizing Shampoo, American Crew 3-in-1 Tea Tree and Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Shampoo – Original Wash for optimal moisture retention.
- Try styling products that aren’t too heavy. Try a leave-in conditioner, like Men’s Solutions Shampoo and Leave-In Conditioner to keep frizz to a minimum and then apply a light mousse for a little bit of hold.
- Don’t be afraid to blow dry. Trust us, you will not regret spending a little extra time on your hair in the morning by blow-drying, which adds volume. But don’t forget this pro tip: Add a little bit of sea salt spray or mousse to your hair while it’s still damp and then dry with a diffuser attachment to prevent frizz and fly-aways.
If your mane could use a little taming, sometimes it comes down to the right stylist and the right products. Stop into your local Great Clips salon and ask a stylist how you can best keep your curls feeling and looking healthy and stylish.