Ditch the Itch: Combating Dryness & Dandruff in Winter
Winter: It’s not all sledding, holiday cheer and snow angels. Winter is also the cause of hair and scalp dryness. Yes, that means that white powder on your shoulders isn’t just from the sky. Dryness and dandruff can be irritating, embarrassing, and even a bit painful. Plus, ‘tis the season for holiday parties and you want your hair looking great for all those company, family and friend get-togethers.
Lucky for you, there are plenty of products at your local Great Clips hair salon – or even in your own home – that can keep your hair and scalp healthy when the cold weather strikes.
Make your own scalp treatment
Many of the products necessary to ease an itchy scalp are right in your own kitchen.
Here are a few DIY recipes for hair masks:
- Coconut Oil Mask: Your ideal one-ingredient remedy! Section off your hair and apply warm coconut oil. Wrap your hair in a warm towel and let it sit for 15 minutes. Your hair can be either dry or wet for this treatment to work wonders!
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse: Mix half a cup of apple cider vinegar with water and rub it into your itchy scalp. Let it sit for 15 minutes, and then rinse with cold water.
Sooth your scalp with tea tree oil
It’s no secret that tea tree oil has properties to treat nearly anything, from athlete’s foot to acne, and insect bites to lice. And because tea tree oil is so great for the skin, it’s the perfect remedy for that dry hair and scalp.
Here’s what to buy:
- Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner, Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo and Conditioner, and Hair and Body Moisturizer.
- You can still get that great style with the soothing formula of tee tree oil. Try Solutions by Great Clips Tea Tree Texture and Tea Tree Paste
- American Crew 3-In-1 Tea Tree
If tea tree isn’t your cup of tea (pun intended), then your shampoo and conditioner revamp may require a moisture-packed formula. When the seasons change, it might be time to change your hair care routine and update to a shampoo and conditioner that is chockfull of moisture.
Here’s what we recommend:
- Solutions by Great Clips Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, and Deep Moisturizing Balm
- Healthy Sexy Hair Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner, So You Want It All Leave-In Treatment
- Biolage HydraSource lineup
- American Crew Daily Moisturizing Shampoo
Focus on the facial hair
Your scalp isn’t the only part of your head that may experience dryness in the winter. Make sure to find products that will nourish your beard and moustache, too.
- All-In-One Face Balm SPF15 from American Crew
- MVRCK Skin + Beard Lotion
Eliminate the Flakes
If that extra moisture just isn’t quite cutting it and dandruff has you down, look for a shampoo that specifically combats flakes. Anti-dandruff shampoos have a formula that is specific for extra dry scalps and can quickly clear up the annoying and embarrassing flakes.
Ask your Great Clips stylist about:
The ultimate remedy for a dry scalp and parched hair is simple: Water. Yes, your DIY dandruff and dryness cure comes from your own faucet! Staying hydrated in the winter will help your hair and skin retain moisture throughout the winter months.
Great Clips stylists are here to make sure that the only flakes you’re enjoying this year are snowflakes, so check in to your local Great Clips hair salon and ask about the best products to ditch the itch.Find A Salon Near You