Haircut Anxiety: How to Achieve a Stress-Free Haircut
Sitting in a hair stylist’s chair can be stressful. You spend so much time controlling your hair – applying hair products, heat-styling, gelling and working to get it to look just right. Your hair is literally in your hands. And then you sit in your stylist’s chair and relinquish that control. Your hair is in their hands while you watch in the mirror.
Because of this, many people get nervous about heading to the salon. But waiting too long to see a hair stylist can lead to losing shape, breakage, dryness and overall unruly or unhealthy hair. So how can you confront the stress of the stylist’s chair and get your hair back to its fabulous form.
Here are our top tips for those experiencing haircut anxiety:
- Use Great Clips® Online Check-In. Sometimes the suspense leading up to your appointment is the most anxiety-ridden part of the entire haircut ordeal. Luckily, Great Clips offers Online Check-In so you don’t have to sit in the lobby and worry. Simply check in at a time that works for you and head to the salon. By the time you get there, you’ll likely be next or almost next on the list, so there’s no long wait required.
- Go in with a plan. Sometimes the anxiety comes from the unknown. In this case, do your research ahead of your visit and have a good idea of the cut you’re looking for. Feel free to bring in photos for your stylist to look at. Having a general idea of what the outcome will be reduces the fear of the unknown.
- Chat with your stylist. Your stylist wants you to be comfortable! Share with them what would help. Do you want to just talk before the cut starts? Do you prefer a towel around your next instead of a cape or to be turned away from the mirror? They are ready to cater to your needs when you sit in the chair.
- Great Clips stylists go the extra mile with Clip Notes®. These are notes that stylists enter into each customer’s profile that provide information on that customer’s hair and haircut, including style, shape, texture, type of cut, clipper guards, length of sideburns, preferred products and more. This means that no matter which Great Clips hair salon you go to, your stylist has the info needed to provide you with a quality experience that’s catered to you. Every time. Knowing that your notes are available to every Great Clips stylist often eases stress and means that you don’t always have to try and explain what kind of cut you want or try to memorize stylist lingo.
- Ask your stylist to keep you updated. Have them show you how much they’ll be cutting off and describe which hair products they’re using. This way you’re not in the dark as to what’s going on with your hair.
- The GreatCare Promise means a comfortable salon experience for everyone. We understand the decision to visit the salon right now can be difficult. That’s why we’ve implemented our GreatCare Promise, which includes mask requirements for both stylists and customers, adherence to governing guidelines, and increased sanitization procedures, and we offer Online Check-In and ReadyNext™ text alerts.
A little bit of preparation, encouragement and research can go a long way in reducing anxiety. Not to mention Great Clips stylists are skilled, sociable and trained to make your experience in the salon chair a GREAT one. So know that you can trust the process – we’re ready to make you look and feel great.
Check in at a Great Clips near you for a professional cut without the stress!